How does it work?
We are a freecycling shop. Think of us as a giant give-away box (Verschenkekiste). We are providing a space for all the usable, but unwanted, items that are normally left out in the streets in cardboard boxes. The items will be safe from rain, wind and weather in our small shop and you can bring things, browse and take home what you can use - all without the exchange of money, all totally for free.
However, we do ask you to follow these basic rules when visiting Verschenkekiste:
In order to keep you and us as safe as possible in the store, especially during the pandemic, we expect the following from you:
- Please pay attention to social distancing and keep at least 1.5m distance to other people in front of and inside the store
- A maximum of 4 visitors are allowed in the store at any given time
- Wear a mouth-nose covering
- Disinfect your hands when entering the store (at our disinfection station)
- Drop off the items to be given away at the reception desk
- Follow our suggested ‘round tour’ in the store, (indicated by arrows on the floor) and plan with about 15 minutes for your visit
Where do you find Verschenkekiste?
We are currently located at Wurzner Str. 58 in the premises of Treffpunkt e.V.
What can you bring to Verschenkekiste?
Since we do not (yet) have a sewing room or repair station, please bring only clean, functional things in good condition that you can and / or want to use yourself any longer, but others could still find them useful, such as e.g.
- Clothing and textiles
- Shoes and bags
- Everyday household and utility items
- Media: books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, audio and VHS tapes
- Stationery and craft accessories
- Small devices (please remove batteries)
- Toys and board games
- Decorative items (like candles, vases, picture frames...)
Notes on rescued or surplus food:
We also accept food.e even have a dedicated refrigerator for this purpose, so please give preference to food that needs to be refrigerated. For non-refrigerated food, you can also use the local Fairteiler distribution points:
- Junction Sellerhäuser-/Peilickestraße
- Junction Konradstraße/Hermann-Liebmann-Straße
- Neustädter Straße
You can find more information about the Foodsharing network and Fairteiler distribution points here..
We only accept food that shows no visual signs of decay and passes the smell test.. The best-before date (MHD) can only be exceeded by no more than one day.
Please keep in mind that you take and consume the food at your own risk.
Take-away and consumption of this food is at your own risk.
When is Verschenkekiste open?
You can find the current opening hours here..
What doesn't belong to the Verschenkekiste?
Broken and dirty items that probably can't be used by anyone else are not welcome at Verschenkenkiste. In addition:
- Large electrical appliances
- Underwear (exception: children's underwear)
- dirty/unclean items
- clothing and other things that are no longer functional
- opened cosmetics
- inedible food (food sharing rules)
- plants only at special plant swap events
- Strictly no objects with discriminatory content
Thoughts for a fair swapping
Bring no more than what you can fit into 2 tote bags per visit.
WHY? We are in this space only temporarily and have limited storage capacity.
Acceptance of individual items is at our discretion. Please keep in mind that we may refuse to accept something and you might need to take it back with you.
WHY? Again: we currently have limited storage capacity. Also, this may be the case if the above rules are not followed.
Take no more than what can fit into 2 tote bags from the store per visit.
WHY? So that you think about what exactly you really need and don't clutter up your carefully decluttered space.
Things you bring must be cleaned and clothes need to be washed!
WHY? Broken and dirty things probably can't be used by anyone else and therefore don't belong in Verschenkekiste.
It is forbidden to leave things in front of our shop.
WHY? Imagine you live next to a swap shop. How would you like to find this place? Besides, the basic idea of our project is to avoid producing waste.. Come during the opening hours and think about the environmental impacts.
We do not want to see things from our store to be resold.
WHY? Our offer of taking things at no cost from our store should not be exploited. Apart from that, we run this store as volunteers without earning money!